Edmodo is a social learning platform for teachers, students and parents. As educators we are constantly looking for new ways to bring technology into the classroom. Edmodo is a social networking site developed for teachers and students to bring social media into the classroom is a secure and educational way.
Our students are growing up in a society where social media sites such as Facebook are the hot topic of any social gathering and conversation. Edmodo is is very similiar to Facebook which immediately appeals to students however it is a controlled, secure and safe environment for all students.
One a the main concerns of any educator when introducing web based tools into the classroom is security and safety of our students. Edmodo has a number of features to ease the minds of all teachers and parents alike.
1) Passcode: In order to join a class, the student must have a passcode which can be provided by the teacher. This passcode can be changed by the teacher at any time. If a student shares the code outside the class, the teacher can change it, without affecting students already joined in the group. Parents can also be give a unqiue passcode that allows them to check on the work progress of their own child.
2) Anonymous posting is not possible.
3) Each edmodo class group is managed and controlled by the teacher.
4) Students can only communicate to the whole class or to the teacher – private messages between students are not possible.
5) Teachers can delete inappropriate posts.
Possible Issues may include:
- Students can post inappropriate posts so this will need to be monitored.
- Students may use this social site for social networking more than academic purposes.
- Students who don’t have the internet at home may be at a disadventage.
Ways to use Edmodo in the classroom:
- Teachers can post messages for their students and students can post to the group
- Teachers and students can share content and materials including web links and videos relating to given topic
- Teachers can post classroom assignments, encourage discussions and track progress online.
- Parents can track the progress of their child online.
- Teachers can also grade assignments online providing convenient feedback for all students.
- Enables teachers to network with other teachers to share ideas and resources.
- Students and teachers can connect via mobile smart phones and be updated with the latest posts.
- It has a calendar feature, which helps track assignments and events.
- There can be co-teachers within a group, which is great if you co-teach a class and to swap ideas and resources.
Quotes from teachers using Edmodo in the classroom:
“Students love the ability to turn in assignments that can be typed without the worry or frustration of handwriting pages that may inevitably get lost.”
“Edmodo helps Parents or guardians to monitor achievement the children in school and help them identify ways of collaborating with teachers and student to achieve learning objectives in school.”
“Students submit essays and I use the comment features to score and provide feedback – so much easier than dragging a stack of papers back and forth from school to home. It’s also a fantastic resource for group projects. The group feature allows me to assign students to reading groups or to project groups, which enables them to collaborate from home and asynchronously.”
“It also can be accessed with an app on most smartphones so students can keep up with discussions and assignments anywhere. I have found that my students are very engaged in class discussions when using the program and helps me to “hear” from those students who don’t participate that much in class.”
“It also has tons of teacher communities where you can collaborate with teachers around the world who are teaching the same thing you are. You can also collaborate with classrooms.”
Useful Video to watch on Edmodo: