Intended learning outcomes:
- Students will be know and be able to identify characteristics of Irish traditional music.
- Students will know the main developments of Irish Music.
- Students will have an understanding of who Sean O’Riada is.
- Students will know what Sean O’Riada contributed to the development of Irish music.
Compare and Contrast
Play examples of music from a collection of different eras and ask the students can they identify features of the music and what genre it is such as:
- Instruments they can hear
- What genre of music it is.
Play a piece of Irish music and ask students to identify features of it. They will then compare and contrast each piece. This should help them understand the main features of Irish music.
In groups students will study flashcards containing words related to Irish Music and music of a contrasting genres such as:
- Electric guitar
- Rock band
There will also be images on the flashcards. Students must arrange flashcards in two categories. One for Irish music and another for different genres.
Sean O’Riada (Powerpoint)
For homework: Students will write down key words from the board describing the music of Sean O’Riada. They will write a short newspaper article based around Sean O’Riada and his music.