- Students will know the different string instruments of the orchestra.
- Students will be able to identify each string instrument through visual and audio examples.
- Students will complete worksheet based around the string instruments of the orchestra.
Strings 15 minutes
Power point on the string instruments accompanied by audio/visual examples of each instrument. Students will take down key bits of information down about each string instrument in their music copybooks.
Violin features 10 minutes
Show students a violin. I will point out the features of a violin. Students will then be able to play and examine the violin and bow within class. They will know features such as: Strings, tuning pegs, chin rest and f holes.
Worksheet 15 minutes
Students will find each string instrument within the string family in their Bravo books. Using information they have learnt in class they will write a short description of each instrument on a worksheet. The worksheet will then be completed for homework. They will also be given a diagram of the violin on one of the worksheets. Each student must work individually and label each feature of the violin.
Phase 4 Videos
Students will watch videos on all the string instruments. Each video will be accompanied by questions allowing students to identify instruments aurally and visually.
Mario on the violin:
Rolling in the Deep: Cello
Lady Gaga: Viola
Mario: Double bass
Intended learning outcomes:
- Students will be know and be able to identify characteristics of Irish traditional music.
- Students will know the main developments of Irish Music.
- Students will have an understanding of who Sean O’Riada is.
- Students will know what Sean O’Riada contributed to the development of Irish music.
Compare and Contrast
Play examples of music from a collection of different eras and ask the students can they identify features of the music and what genre it is such as:
- Instruments they can hear
- What genre of music it is.
Play a piece of Irish music and ask students to identify features of it. They will then compare and contrast each piece. This should help them understand the main features of Irish music.
In groups students will study flashcards containing words related to Irish Music and music of a contrasting genres such as:
- Electric guitar
- Rock band
There will also be images on the flashcards. Students must arrange flashcards in two categories. One for Irish music and another for different genres.
Sean O’Riada (Powerpoint)
For homework: Students will write down key words from the board describing the music of Sean O’Riada. They will write a short newspaper article based around Sean O’Riada and his music.